You may be able to contact the insurer of the other party directly to settle your claim if you are injured in an Insurer Approaches accident or your vehicle is damaged. This is known as third party capture, or third party assistance.
This is legal for insurers. It is important to understand that this doesn’t mean you have to settle your claim. In fact, the insurer of the other party won’t act in your best interest.
This page explains what to do before accepting an offer from an insurers encouraged to settle a claim.
Before accepting an offer from another insurance company, here are some things to consider
You may feel vulnerable if you have been hurt or efficacious approaches traumatized by an accident. It may be tempting for you to accept an offer from the insurer to settle your claim to avoid more stress and delay. This may not be in your best interest.
Consider these things before you accept an offer Insurer Approaches
- You don’t have the obligation to accept any offer made to you. Acceptance of an offer may be less than what you would get if you had a lawyer or gone to court.
- Do not feel pressured to take a quick decision. To file a claim for compensation, you have three years to go from the date of the accident.
- If you have been injured, you should get a complete medical evaluation to confirm the extent of your injuries and determine how it will impact your life.
- If an insurer offers payment or asks you for a contract, be sure to understand what it is.
- You don’t need to use an insurer’s solicitor to represent you. You can either appoint your own or get independent legal advice.
Insurer Approaches For more assistance, please contact us
You can contact your insurer for help if you are having trouble making a decision.
Some insurers offer a helpline to their customers. Check your paperwork and visit the website of your insurer to find out if they have one.
A solicitor can be contacted, but you will need to pay a fee. The Law Society website allows you to search for solicitors in your local area.
Learn more about hiring a solicitor
A LawWorks clinic which deals with insurance law may be able to provide free legal assistance to those who can’t afford a lawyer. The LawWorks website allows you to find a local legal advice clinic.
If you are unhappy with the insurer of another person
If you feel the insurer is unfair to you or trying to pressure you, you can file a complaint with them. The contact information for the auto insurers should be available on the website of the company or in any correspondence they have sent to you.The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), website has information on how to file a complaint.